Skip to main content

tv   Piers Morgan Live  CNN  July 24, 2013 9:00pm-10:01pm PDT

9:00 pm
has to modernize, it has to change. this baby is going to be so important, because it will be the future. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com tonight the return of weaner gate. it's the political scandal everyone is talking about. you heard what anthony wiener did. >> these things are in my past. these things are in my past, and i think that citizens understand that. >> you heard what he said. it's been rough. these are things i brought upon myself and i thought they would come out toward the end of the campaign and some have. i'm pressing forward.
9:01 pm
>> okay. we want to know what you think. should anthony wiener get out of the race for mayor? >> no. >> okay. you got the answer. will new yorkers forgive and forget and should huma abedin stand by hermann? crisis management is something i learned in high career as a branding communication ceo and i put together a panel of experts tonight on how to handle it including star jones, scott stringer in a race himself against eliot spitzer. i want to start on a lighter note before we get to that with the rebranding of the royals. tonight we learn the name of the newborn son of prince william and kate. he is hrh prince george. to answer that victoria arbor. victoria, we saw on royals 2.0 yesterday, drive themselves away, accessible with the crowd. we understand there is no nanny at home, one housekeeper and something in the name that tells
9:02 pm
us this is new age of royals. >> we're seeing william put a stamp on how he intends to move forward. these are traditional names, family names but not immediately all associated with familiar royals, so that way he's giving his child it's own identity there is six previous king georges, the saint of england is george. charles's middle name is george. when we get to alexander, three kings of scotland named alexander and that's where william and kate met. the queen's name is alexandria. a tribute to her. william is the most pointed for william and his father charles. baton was charles' most beloved grand uncle i saa sass nated in9 so to see william included was a personal touch for charles. >> now, i was surprised that william and kate said no, we just like the name george. it had nothing to
9:03 pm
queen e queen's father. i found that hard to believe. >> i believe george is quite cool and trendy again. they don't buy a baby name book, they look at the family true. the child would be krus fied in the school for some of them. >> george is the 12th most popular name in britain. one more reason to stay in the united states. [ laughter ] >> i -- is there anything that goes on where there are some type of informal protocol with the queen where ahead of time they run names by her? is she finding out about it like anybody else? >> the queen went to kensington palace to meet her grandson and william runs everything by her with the monarch key and how he does things and emptiers of state. he would have run the name by her. she's not a tyrant. she likes the family to make their own decisions. she says if she thinks you would have handled something better but she would have been touched to run it by her first.
9:04 pm
>> let me say something, it's very, very clear that they want to be more of the royals of the people, but am i to believe right now that there is no nanny there, kate is getting up in the middle of the night? seriously. [ laughter ] >> is that possible? i'm not saying great either way, but is that happening? >> right now, certainly it is. they have got to have a nanny at some stage when they have a royal life going. kate is from a normal family. her mother was waiting for her coming home from school. having said that, they have gone home to kate's parents house this weekend. so grandma middleton i'm sure is helping out. >> thanks a lot. great stuff. let's get to the biggest political story around now, anthony wiener's scandal. to talk about it "five rules for coping with politics in business, personal life" and star jones, attorney and national spokesperson. financial association of professional women and scott
9:05 pm
stringer, manhattan burro president and candidate running against another scandal-tainted politician former new york governor eliot spitzer. before we get to this panel, i want to show hands from the audience, is there anyone that would vote from anthony wiener with what happened? not one hand. >> sure. >> okay. raise your hand. >> of course. >> was there anyone voting for him three days ago? >> not a chance. >> i want to start with you, scott. you're a part of the establishment of new york politics. you're running for comptroller. is there any chance at this point weiner gets selected? >> i think it's problematic for both because we turned this election into a two-ring circus but when you go out and campaign to working voters, middle class people want to know about affordable housing and education opportunities for kids and they don't want to be involved in the
9:06 pm
personal drama of candidates. >> that's ironically, that's what weiner is saying and the ultimate act he's saying it's not about me. he's saying and using the talking points you're using but in reality it is about him. do you get kind of angry? you know, you're a serious politician. spitzer is ahead of you not polls -- >> for now. >> for now. good answer. [ laughter ] >> will coming. >> you got a launch on jay leno and jimmy falon, this culture, it seems like awareness at any cost beats less awareness. that's got to piss you off. >> so i got to tell you something, sure, does every kid want to go on leno? okay. this can't become a comedy show. the issues in the city and big disconnect here going on leno doesn't make you a candidate people want to embrace because they want to know your educational plan. what are you going to do for the city? how will you watch the pensions --
9:07 pm
>> i wish that was true but the polls show awareness equal votes. you got 6 million voters. i wish that was true. >> you know what happens? the person with those liabilities starts ahead because name recognition and voters realize what is happening and vote for the candidate they believe will represent them. that candidate gets elected and it's a big upset. i'm telling you, in the bronx, when i'm moving around brooklyn and manhattan, people want trust, they want integrity, they want leadership. and it's not just about me. i would say that in the mayor's race, as well. we got a real problem and issue. >> when this comes up, i worked on a political campaign. if i run your campaign and you were running against spitzer, i would put a lot of effort into finding another prostitute and -- [ laughter ] >> not personally finding a prostitute. that's it for tonight. we'll see you next time on piers morgan. this is just politics -- >> i'll bring one as a
9:08 pm
consultant. >> thank you. >> i would keep you -- i would keep you on message until the week bump and bring forward that next woman. would you have a problem with that? >> you know how i'll win and i mean this? we're releasing policy position papers. sounds boring, right? we're releasing policy position papers. we're new yorkiknocking on door. elliott's problem believe there is is one set of rules for elliott and another for the rest of us. when i release five years of taxes and say i want to be comptroll comptroller, this is the money i make. he won't release taxes. i have to go out and get thousands of contributions. he won't go into the campaign finance program, even though he said he would. these are issues voters need. >> i'll get to you star and lanny in a second. i want to bring in a man that knows how the story came to light. he broke it in his story thedirty.com. nick richy, first of all, are
9:09 pm
you getting paid by ms. leathers? >> no, donnie, i'm not getting paid at all, and i'm not even sure that's her real name. >> okay. how does this work? [ laughter ] >> let's hope not. how did this work? how did she get to you? what happened? give me the process how this comes about. >> donnie, i have a popular main stream website called thedirty.com and all user generated content. people from around the world submit stuff to the website. i call these people the dirty army. it's millions of people like a cult following, and i've been doing this since 2008 with the dirty, and she came to me. she was a fan of the site, and she confided in me, and i told her to send me all the information, all the screen shots because i personally didn't believe her at first. i really was duped by anthony wiener and thought he did change, and obviously, that wasn't the case.
9:10 pm
and i just did my homework and kind of matched up the evidence that she provided and ran with the story. >> we'll show some pictures as we keep talking, and these have been online for awhile. when you said she came to you, what was the first thing she said? did she call up and say i want a release? what was the reason she came to you? >> no, she submitted a tip to the site. we have a submit post button where you can contact me and send me similar to like a youtube, upload of images and e-mail and tip and i went through it and i actually asked for her phone number through e-mail and contacted her and we spent the weekend just connecting the dots and i drilled her. i basically said you got to convince me if you convince america. she came forward and you know, i i believed her and said i'll put my neck on the line and put this on thedirty.com and the rest is history. >> one friend of hers said it started out, she reecached out d
9:11 pm
said look, i'm a fan of yours, i'm a fan of politics and weiner turned it sexual. is that try? >> what happened is she e-mailed weiner in 2011, and it wasn't a nice e-mail. she pretty much bashed him for the whole original sex scandal, and weiner never responded, and he must have been feeling creepy one day -- [ laughter ] >> -- in 2012 and looked at his facebook e-mail and saw that she sent this e-mail and he poked her on facebook -- [ laughter ] >> -- and she -- she poked back, and, you know, the weiner decided he wanted to be -- >> okay. let's listen -- >> and it got crazy. >> he -- is do you feel in your job, and obviously, do you pause and say obviously he's a public official and has to stand behind
9:12 pm
what he did, but do you at any point say hey, this is going to change lives, change elections? what is kind of the process you go through in your head, your own? because there is no filter. the problem -- not the problem, the reality of the web today is there is no regulation and so much goes out there. as a member of the 300 million people of this country say to yourself before you put something like this out? well, donnie, to me i look at the internet and say, privacy is gone there is no such thing. to give people their voice is my goal, you know. you don't find platforms that give civilians and make them their own paparazzi where they can voice their own freedom on speech and have a large platform to get to an audience of millions of people and that's what i try to provide for these people. because if you look at social networks, if you're not a celebrity, you don't have a huge base. with the dirty, i want to provide that platform and it's
9:13 pm
first amendment right. >> sure. >> i want to get that out and that's what i try to do. >> nick, appreciate your time. i want to turn it to lanny and star. first, i want to go over what anthony wiener spoke tonight and during this speech was interesting. supposedly, a lot of women turned their backs as he was speaking. let's go to that. >> sector, and you have hundreds and hundreds of thousands of outstanding requests for work, ask that floor was supposed to be replaced eight years ago. that wall was supposed to be replaced four years ago. i hate to say it, you would be in jail sgl. >> we talk about a lot of things, a lot of scandals, you have adult tree. there seems to be a creepy factor to this that i don't think he can come back from. any chance? >> i don't see him coming back. a lot of people, we talk about whether he can win. i would like to ask the question whether or not he can pass the homeland security test.
9:14 pm
i'm not sure that he could actually pass a security test on being the mayor of new york city. >> i want to get lanny in fast before we go to break and you worked with the clinton's playbook. anything to do to save this guy? he comes in your office, what do we do now? >> first of all, my disclosure is i know huma abedin very well. she's almost like a daughter to me. so although there is earth in laughter and i understand the reasons people are acting that way, this is a lot of pain and tragedy going on here. partly, what i would advice mr. weiner is if he believes he should be mayor of new york, he knows this is going to be very, very difficult for him and for huma, and a part from all the pain that he's going through with her, it was his choice to run for mayor, so he can't complain. but i did feel that what huma did yesterday and very, very profoundly and with a lot on
9:15 pm
feeling describing what she's gone through to decide to stay with him and try to rebuild their marriage, and their son in a family was very moving to me. >> lanny, i actually disagree with you and spoke ton a lot of women who have, however people chuckle, whatever they do, she's chosen that she wants to be married to the mayor of new york and made adele lib rid decision and it's fair game at this point. nobody wants to see a family go through anything but there was a -- it felt to me, an opportunity with her and her stand that was not just standing by your man. that's just what i felt. >> donnie, in all fairness, i specifically said i don't blame people for their reaction, including the laughter. i think it's very understandable. i just wanted to remind people that these two are going through a lot of pain. if you didn't find yourself moved by huma's aught thtothen ,
9:16 pm
you're entitled. >> lenny, stay with us, star, when we come back, stay with us. his wife is standing by her man we can this marriage or career be saved? more about huma when we come back. if there was a pill to help protect your eye health as you age... would you take it? well, there is. [ male announcer ] it's called ocuvite. a vitamin dedicated to your eyes, from bausch + lomb. as you age, eyes can lose vital nutrients. ocuvite helps replenish key eye nutrients. ocuvite is uniquely formulated to help protect your eye health. now that's a pill worth taking. [ male announcer ] ocuvite. help protect your eye health. and now there's ocuvite eye + multi. an eye vitamin and multivitamin in one.
9:17 pm
9:18 pm
and now there's ocuvite eye + multi.
9:19 pm
[ male announcer ] this summer, savor every second of vacation. but get your own cookie. enjoy a fresh-baked chocolate chip cookie at check-in and more, with rates as low as $99 per night at a doubletree. book now at doubletree.com/getaway. you know, i'm not sitting here some little woman standing by my man. i'm sitting here because i love
9:20 pm
him, and i respect him, and i honor what he's been through and we've been through together. >> i love him, i forgive him, i believe in him and as we said from the beginning, we're moving forward. >> i'm donnie deutsch in for piers morgan. that of course is hillary clinton and huma abedin standing by their man. we're here to talk about it and lenny davis and star jones. star, as a woman when you're watching huma, was that feminine at the high point or low point? >> actually, it was feminist period. we give women the opportunity to choose what works for them. what works for huma and her marriage works for her. i respect her choice and her decision. i may not respect it in my life.
9:21 pm
i do respect it. i represent women that would chop it off quite frankly. [ applause ] >> that's not one end or the other. >> you get -- ben, you get the feeling that it's both. i felt this way with hilary in '92 and watching they want to chop it off, but they want -- but they want their place at the table, and they are business partners, and they are going to do what it takes. was that your take? >> there is no way anthony would be in this race if huma didn't sign on at the beginning and doing private stuff and she's a private person. it not totally clear to me that she knew -- all -- that she knew he was doing this until when? last fall, last winter, last spring, it's not clear when he stopped. >> last night. [ laughter ] [ applause ] >> lanny, i want to ask you, you said you're very close to huma and hilary called her a family member. if that was your daughter out
9:22 pm
there, how would you be feeling and what would you be saying to her? because my daughter won't be out there. >> i'm a father with a daughter, and you may have the ability to tell your daughter whose in love and has deep emotions what she should or shouldn't do, i don't think i have that ability -- >> i stand corrected. >> nor would i exercise that ability because star has the exact word that occurs to me that i heard many women say about this type of situation, which is don't judge my relationship and my choices. i'm allowed to make choices that are right for me. if you doubt my sincerity, you're entitled. what huma abedin did, i know was authentic and deeply felt and star is right, if this is her choice, other women might make other choices and they might be angry with her for her choice but they should allow her the deep feeling that is behind her. >> mark, obviously, any woman could -- you're not buying it? >> i respect her choice, too.
9:23 pm
if someone says i know the cards on the table and i'm making a different decision, i have i have respect that. my spidy sense -- to use a technical term, is all a political charade. when you look over the text, spoke to nick earlier, when i get over that together it sounds not real, she's in it for the ride this is about political careers and not about love or marriage. >> star -- [ applause ] >> there was -- there was a press conference yesterday. they asked we knew this was going on a year after this, how do voters, how does a -- how do women, we all can accept a mistake, how do people look past what is clearly not just a mistake but a sense of narcissim, how does anybody look past this? >> at this point, what we're dealing with is sort of the
9:24 pm
personal, because it's a sexual issue and the professional. the professional we all have the right to judge anthony weiner. we're citizens here in new york and electing a mayor. we have a right to say you show a lack of judgment and respect for your family and the institution of marriage. this is not someone i want to represent the city of new york. i am not going to allow you to stand up on a podium and look my kid in the face and be the representative for my kid. we have a right to feel that way. there's absolutely nothing wrong with saying huma, this is your choice but i don't want your man as my mayor. [ applause ] >> i want to go back to lanny. >> i want to go back to lanny. >> i want to go back to lanny. before you go, if i'm a betting man, i say there's a 99% chance hilary is running for office. if i'm advising hilary and we know the way she feels, how can she keep herself attached to huma. if she's in the line next to
9:25 pm
hilary, this will not go away and hilly has a history of a deficit she walks away? >> look, i love hillary clinton as one of my best friends, and this obviously is a painful experience for her, because i know she loves huma abedin, as those of us who know huma do. whatever else is being said tonight and to your viewing audience and people who are reacting to what they are hearing, i can tell you that this is genuine. the gentleman that doubted huma's sincerity, i can disagree, and what hillary clinton is feeling tonight and what every human being who knows huma abedin, i don't know the congressman well, is feeling is deep empathy and pain for what she's going through. >> all right. lanny, really appreciate your time. >> thank you. >> when we come back, i want to know why you think powerful men do this kind of thing, and why women don't. [ applause ] >> we know why.
9:26 pm
i save time, money,st, and i avoid frustration. you'll find reviews on home repair to healthcare, written by people just like you. find out why more than two million members count on angie's list. angie's list -- reviews you can trust. i don't do any cleaning. i make dirt. ♪ i'm not big enough or strong enough for this. there should be some way to make it easier. [ doorbell rings ] [ morty ] here's a box, babe. open it up. oh my goodness! what is a wetjet? some kind of a mopping device. there's a lot of dirt on here. morty, look at how easy it is. it's almost like dancing. [ both humming ] this is called the swiffer dance.
9:27 pm
9:28 pm
9:29 pm
i did not have sexual relations with that woman. >> the story is false. it's completely untrue and ridiculous i've been in love with the same woman for 30 plus years. >> i have never sexually harassed anyone. >> you didn't send that photo to that woman in washington state? >> i did not send it to that woman in washington state. >> but you're not 100% sure the photo is you? >> i'll say we're doing everything we can to answer that question, but we're doing an
9:30 pm
investigation. >> guest host in for piers morgan and why men cheat. joining me gloria allred. also back marc lamont hill and star jones. a psychologist wrote there are five reasons powerful men cheat and applaud if you agree, one, because they can. [ applause ] >> two this is interesting, i only want the women to respond, power is a great sex drive for women? yeah. [ applause ] >> powerful men present a chris ma beyond the average man. [ applause ] >> they feel entitled. [ applause ] >> and they may have a stronger sex drive than the average. [ laughter ] on that note i want to bring in gloria allred. gloria, you represent a woman claiming to be sexually harassed by a
9:31 pm
major in san diego. i spoke in the tiger woods issue, i think a lot of reasons in the case of tiger woods he walks into a restaurant and 20 women hand them cards come be with me. politics aren't like that and we're seeing predatory behavior versus the other side but isn't a lot of it opportunity? >> well, i think that for a lot of men who are either celebrities because they are in the entertainment business or sports world or because they are well-known elected officials of politicians or hope to be politicians, they that cheat frankly often because they don't believe there will be consequences that are serious and have the opportunity to do it and because frankly, they have not had to suffer serious consequences in the past. but now, women are breaking their silence and coming forward
9:32 pm
like my client. irene jackson who is courageous and she is breaking the silence and opened the flood gates by her example by being willing to be publically identified, the first woman to be identified in reference to bob filner in san diego. we filed a lawsuit and now two other women have come forward. we don't know where that will end. end. we do commend her courage because she's broken the silence. >> star, you know a lot of very powerful men socially for years and years and years and interviewed them. we continue to be astounded when oh my god this guy did that, you're, of course, a lawyer, not a psychologist. is there any thread that you've seen in men over the years, powerful men beyond the sense of entitlement that causes this behavior. >> it's a little bit of mastermind mentality. when you saw a rock star walks into a room and throw cards at them and other things at them
9:33 pm
also, politicians don't get that businessmen may not get that but their power is in their pocketbook. you and i have crossed swords many a times, as i will say to you, when when you're a wealthy, powerful white man in the united states of america and you can pull out that black card, that is very powerful to a lot of women. and some women don't have the same core values as other women that integrity kicks in. >> that is new. look at a guy like anthony wiener. right? it's safe to say women weren't throwing themselves at him in high school or college or any other point. [ applause ] >> i'll tell you another very kind of sad thing out of this. these women come forward and monica lewinsky a few years ago reached out to me and i was curious of meeting her and she was such a bright, charming, damaged, this is a girl that 99% of 22-year-olds in her position would do the same thing.
9:34 pm
we know president clinton moved on, and she can't get a job. gloria, the issue sometimes, the unfortunate issue sometimes for these women that come forward, they get 15 minutes, come forward and the parade leaves and their lives are ruined ironically and not the mens. >> well, i agree with that and represent one of the women that came forward in the anthony wiener sexting scandal. we asked him to resign and he did and got help but apparently it wasn't effective. she didn't come looking for her 15 minutes of fame, i want to point out. her name was revealed, not because she revealed it, others in the press found out and then essentially they stampeded to her, and she had no privacy -- >> she was an adult -- >> she never sent sexting to him. he sent sexting messages to her.
9:35 pm
>> and we'll get -- >> so let's not blame the women. he's the one who should absolutely have to take responsibility for what he did. >> i think it's complicated. you're not required to send your intimate private communications to people thedirty.com. >> sure. i'm not blaming the women. i'm saying whether they are true victims, they end up more damaged. >> stay here, everybody. when we come back, let's talk about sex. i want to know what you think about sex addiction. alert.
9:36 pm
the beach on your tv is much closer than it appears. seize the summer with up to 50% off hotels at travelocity.
9:37 pm
9:38 pm
9:39 pm
i'm donnie deutsch. sitting in for piers morgan. back with me, my panel and sex therapist chris donohue. let me start with the sex therapist, chris, a lot of men would say bologna. it a convenient coverup when a guy gets in trouble because he can't control himself and that mellow men in one form or another are addicted to sex. so set me straight and give me the clinical diagnosis here. >> we have someone with an issue of sexual compulsiveness. he's returning to a behavior creating negative consequences in his life.
9:40 pm
does he have an inability to stop doing it? i'm not really sold on that. that's not why we'll necessarily call it a sex addiction. >> forget anthony wiener for a second. i think new yorkers will forget anthony wiener. [ laughter ] i think in general, in general, i'm a believer in sex addiction. i think celebrities created to kind of cover up the past because most men i know want as much sex as they can get. what is sex addiction? >> no, i'm going to agree with you, monogamy and marriage and these are difficult institutionings for us. the 21st century and technology and having sex as readily as it is, there is struggles with people maintaining boundaries of sexuality. if you're at a restaurant and can't get home because you're
9:41 pm
not bathroom, that's a sex addict. that's what i'm saying, the problem is now it becomes, as you said, a cop out for anybody caught in a scandal. >> it's interesting. there is a new definition there, a new degree of sexual scandal now. there was not physical contact up to the physical contact and in this new digital generation, are they going to look at this with a lot kinder eyes than we would because they are growing up in a dig toll world and there is a lot more cavalierness to what happens in that virtual world? >> i don't think anything that takes place on the internet is weird certainly and a lot traditional about this in the way of -- like a lot of politicians are in the business because they want affection and love and attention and like bill clinton and figures. that translates into their lives . so in someways this is like a traditional scandal. >> that's the problem.
9:42 pm
we're looking at this in too traditional of a sense where what defines cheating and monogamy is -- >> donnie -- >> i just want to bring in -- >> guys, guys -- i just want to bring in gloria for a second. >> gloria, you're dealing with an issue with the mayor of san diego dealing with sexual harassment. we've seen so many men come back from various scandals. are we at a point, is the country desensitized unless it's an underaged situation, rape, that pretty much now the american public is like infidelity, ah, sexting, ah. i'm not saying i feel that way but we see the way the world plays out, we see to be a bit more like we've seen it all before.
9:43 pm
>> well, i think there is a sense of forgiveness. if people say they will get help and acknowledge and take responsibility for what they have done and if they do get help. however, there is focus on the men and not enough impact on the women they are hurting. in the case of mayor of san diego, we filed a lawsuit of sexual harassment. that hurt my client to her that she should come to work without her panties on, that he wants to see her naked, that he loves her, wants to marry her. he tries to kiss her. >> there is nothing funny about that. >> this is harmful to a woman. >> there is a point where i think right now adultery, people go it's not right but you can move on. something like that, obviously, different. we'll be right back, guys, don't go anywhere. l share. but who can help you find your own path? who can build you a plan,
9:44 pm
not just a pie chart? who can help keep your investments on course, whatever lies ahead? that someone is a morgan stanley financial advisor. and we're ready to work for you. ...and a great deal. . thanks to dad. nope eeeeh... oh, guys let's leave the deals to hotels.com. ooh that one! nice. got it! oh my gosh this is so cool... awesome! perfect! yep, and no angry bears. the perfect place is on sale now. up to 40% off. only at hotels.com
9:45 pm
what makes a sleep number store different? what makes a sleep number you walk into a conventional mattress store, it's really not about you. they say, "well, if you wanted a firm bed you can lie on one of those. if you want a soft bed you can lie on one of those." we provide the exact individualization that your body needs. this is your body there. you can see a little more pressure in the shoulders and in the hips. the magic of this bed is that you're sleeping on something that conforms to your individual shape. oh wow, that feels really good. it's hugging my body. you get that moment where you go, "oh yeah" ... oh, yeah! : ... and it's perfect. they had no idea that when they came to a sleep number store, we were going to diagnose their problems and help them sleep better. once you experience it, there's no going back. don't invest in a mattress until you find your sleep number setting. and don't miss the final days of our summer closeout, for the biggest savings on all sleep number memory foam and iseries bed sets. only at one of our over 400 sleep number stores nationwide, where queen mattresses start at just $699. sleep number.
9:46 pm
comfort individualized. the healthcare law gives us powerful tools to fight it... to investigate it... ...prosecute it... and stop criminals. our senior medicare patrol volunteers...
9:47 pm
are teaching seniors across the country... ...to stop, spot, and report fraud. you can help. guard your medicare card. don't give out your card number over the phone. call to report any suspected fraud. we're cracking down on medicare fraud. let's make medicare stronger for all of us. all right. we're back. before we -- before we leave anthony wiener, very quick answer from both you guys, star, does he have any chance. >> arrogance will keep him new be new yorkers won't elect him.
9:48 pm
>> mark? >> people can forgive but there is a dishonesty. if i advised him, i would tell him to drop out. trayvon martin's father was on capitol hill today and issues facing men and black boys. listen what he said. >> i always say trayvon was my hero. he saved my life, and not to be there in his time of need, it's real troubling not to be able to save my son's life. >> trayvon martin's death sparked, of course, a heated debate from the white house to main street. joining me now martin family attorney ben crump. i want to ask this question to you and i want star and mark to join, three african americans, white guy. [ laughter ] >> no, nothing funny about that. i have three daughters and if they came home to me and said they fell in love with an african american man. i would say does he love you?
9:49 pm
is he a good man? i would say it's a harder choice but would be happy for them. on the flip side if i was walking down the street and about to go in my house and i saw a 17-year-old black kid in a hoodie, i would pause. i would -- i'm just being honest. i would pause before i would go in. i would -- it's not because i -- it's just because what i'm used to would be out of context for me. am i racist? i'm being honest. and i think 90% of white people would say what i'm saying. ben? >> well, donnie, i think the question is whether you act on that. i do think that the president has started the conversation saying we have to talk about these things. we have to talk about profiling. it's one thing to think a certain way. we all have prejudices, but do you act on those? that's the problem. i think when we take about trayvon martin, many, many people believe that his killer profiled him and followed him and if he would have profiled
9:50 pm
him, called the police, he had every right to do that. but once you act on that and confront a person, that is the issue we are facing. the issue has been frame can you profile and follow our children while they walk home and not do anything illegal -- >> yeah. >> and that's the issues. >> star, you and i are friends. we talked a lot about race on today's show -- >> yes. >> and talked openly about it. it's not -- i want to go back to the point i made, it's because it's out of context for me. i'm not used to seeing a young black man, because we are still in so many ways a segregated society, though we like to feel we're integrated. we have talk openly about that. we have to figure out what we do about that. >> you would not be showing racism by just thinking it, but what you would be showing is implicit bias. when because of what you've been programmed to think.
9:51 pm
>> yes. >> when you see a young african m american man in a hoodie and jeans, you think the statistic there are more black men in jail than college when that is absolutely not true there are 400,000 more black men in college than there are in all the jails. listen, what i'm saying is those kinds of things have been programmed into our head. you see far more african american men as criminals on television -- >> wait, wait, when you were doing an ad and ever showing criminals in an ad, you've never ever show a black person because the outrage, even if you say for one out of five people buy our product -- i'm talking about somebody robbing a store, doing something, it's the opposite -- >> that's because tv. >> that's a form of racism, also. >> because tv is a form of escape and a departure from reality soft the robbers in tv can be white because in our minds we constructed it and in
9:52 pm
real life they are black. >> because the ad vertizers are worried, not say thing is right, they show a black man in the ad, we're stereo typing. it's this horrible cycle. >> there is a bigger term -- i actually push back and don't say i think you're racist but i think that assumption would be racist. >> i would be. >> i guess i'm being honest about that and i'm not. but like what -- how do we get past that? >> we have to come to the terms the assumption is racist. so many white folk and black folk, black folk have the same kind of pause. when they see that -- -- >> wait, wait -- >> if i see a white -- a guy with a white bald head in a hoodie, i'm pausing also because i'm react tlg is a certain way there is -- ben, jump in here, more of a chance -- >> but there isn't more of a chance. >> i said -- >> we have to connect what we feel. i teach at colombia university. all my kids walk through campus
9:53 pm
with hoodies on during winter time. >> my nephew is 17 and is wearing a hoodie up playing basketball right now. i'm your girl, my nephew lives with me. so if he comes over and walks by your house to bring something down to you you should be thinking that could be star's nephew instead of thinking that could be a criminal. that's the point. >> that's it. [ applause ] >> go ahead, guys. >> i just have to say this, i think we try to use the hoodies as this metaphor but 35 years ago there were not hoodies and they were still profiling african american men. [ applause ] >> so we have to be real about it. >> i would love what you think about this. i'm hopeful. we've come a long way and have a way to go. what gives me hope, i talk to kids. my 9-year-old daughter doesn't
9:54 pm
see a black person, she sees a president and am i naive to think we're a generation away but the next generation is approaching things differently? is that the white guy look but that's what i'm seeing -- >> i think you're right. i think each generation deals with it differently because we reimagine what it looks like but structural issues that don't go away. we die more at birth, don't live as long, housing, healthcare, incarceration, anything good we're at the bottom, anything bad we're at the top and that doesn't change if it's your grandchildren or my grandchildren feel different about a particular black person. >> ben, before we go, how are trayvon's parents doing. one thing in life you can't recover from is losing a child. how are they doing? >> they are trying to take something painful and negative and turn sbiit into a positive. sybrina fulton said something that inspired me after the verdict and went to church on
9:55 pm
sunday. she said we will not let this verdict define trayvon martin. we will define the legacy of trayvon martin. >> star, last word? >> i just think that diversity around the table is what is going to move the conversation from talking to action. if you start to put people around the table who actually can bring different experiences to bear so that you can stand in the spot where i am and feel what i feel because you know me in an intimate way, i think that conversation will then move to action. and then action becomes very powerful. we as a community of people can make this change. >> we need honesty, that's what we need. i want to thank everybody, star, mark, ben, thanks so much. we'll be right back. >> thank you donnie. i want to make things more secure.
9:56 pm
[ whirring ] [ dog barks ] i want to treat more dogs. ♪ our business needs more cases. [ male announcer ] where do you want to take your business? i need help selling art. [ male announcer ] from broadband to web hosting to mobile apps, small business solutions from at&t have the security you need to get you there. call us. we can show you how at&t solutions can help you do what you do... even better. ♪ can help you do what you do... even better. wi drive a ford fusion. who is healthier, you or your car? i would say my car. probably the car. cause as you get older you start breaking down. i love my car. i want to take care of it. i have a bad wheel - i must say. my car is running quite well. keep your car healthy with the works. $29.95 or less after $10 mail-in rebate at your participating ford dealer. so you gotta take care of yourself? yes you do. you gotta take care of your baby? oh yeah!
9:57 pm
fso you're worried about housef fires? stop smoking. manage your wires. watch out for space heaters. clean the chimney. get one of these. cool the romance. and of course, talk to farmers. hi. ♪ we are farmers bum - pa - dum, bum - bum - bum - bum♪
9:58 pm
9:59 pm
that is it for tonight. i want to thank piers for the chance to sit in and this fantastic studio audience. you guys were great. tomorrow anthony, the man that heat the heart of a cobra but tomorrow faces his greatest challenge yet, will he eat a
10:00 pm
donut with. anderson cooper starts right now. breaking news on two fronts, anthony weiner, the seconder just reporters and late worden a terrible train wreck with dozens, dozens of fatalities. steve king taking heat for highly controversial remarks basic ly claiming a lot of children of undocumented workers are drug mules. keeping him honest i'll ask how he justifies those words. also keeping them honest, the height of luxury don't eat anything. what we unkovrped -- uncovered about the food storage on this ship is down right sickening. but let's begin with breaking news. the terribly sad news out of northwestern spain. a high-speed train snapped in two, some of the cars on fire.

32 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on